HSIP: Glenn Highway: Speed Limit Evaluation, Palmer to Glennallen
The State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities (DOT&PF), in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration, is proposing to change the posted speed limit on portions of the Glenn Highway between Palmer and Glennallen. This project was identified by the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) as a cost-effective project that’s purpose is to save lives and reduce injuries on the Glenn Highway. The proposed changes are intended to accomplish this goal by reducing conflicts due to differences between traveling vehicle speeds and the posted speed limit.
Criteria considered in determining if a change in the posted speed limit is warranted included:
- Present operating speed of traffic on the Glenn Highway
- Existing roadway alignment
- Existing roadside characteristics
- Lane and shoulder width
- Signing (regulatory, warning, and advisory speeds)
- School bus stops
- Crash history and crash severity
- Driveways and side street density
Construction to implement the proposed changes will include:
- Revising speed limit signs, warning signs, and other signs impacted by increasing the speed limit.
- Updating signs, including warning signs, in areas that will retain their current posted speed limit.
- Revise passing zone striping for the new speed limit.
- Add school bus warning signs where needed and remove unnecessary school bus warning signs.
- Potentially clear limited areas for increased school bus stop visability.
- Spot mowing in areas where visibility is limited.
The map below illustrates the results of the study and the proposed posted speed limit revisions.
(Map updated July 1, 2013)
The following table summarizes the proposed speed limit revisions:
|Roadway/Segment||Segment Length||Present Speed Limit||Proposed Speed Limit||Amount of Change|
|0.9 miles north of Arctic Avenue in Palmer to Milepost 60.5 (Sutton)||11.0 Miles||55 MPH||55 MPH||No Change|
|Milepost 60.5 (Sutton) to Milepost 61.7 (Sutton)||0.9 Miles||45 MPH||45 MPH||No Change|
|Milepost 61.7 (Sutton) to Milepost 91.7 (near Cascade Maintenance Station)||30 Miles||55 MPH||55 MPH||No Change|
|Milepost 91.7 (near Cascade Maintenance Station) to Milepost 105.6 (top of Caribou Creek hill)||13.4 Miles||55 MPH||65 MPH||10 MPH Increase|
|Milepost 105.6 (top of Caribou Creek hill) to Milepost 108 (east end of Caribou Creek hill)||2.4 Miles||55 MPH||50 MPH||5 MPH Decrease|
|Milepost 108 (east end of Caribou Creek hill) to Milepost 185.4 (Glennallen 40 MPH Zone)||76.7 Miles||55 MPH||65 MPH||10 MPH Increase|
|Milepost 185.4 to Milepost 186.1||.8 Miles||40 MPH||50 MPH||10 MPH Increase|
|Milepost 186.1 to Richardson Highway||2.6 Miles||40 MPH||40 MPH||No Change|
The environmental impacts for this project were found to meet the criteria for classification as a Categorical Exclusion (CE). The CE for this project was completed on February 11, 2013. (The CE can be found on the DOCUMENTS page).